Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Exploring San Dimas and neighbourhoods by bike

Exploring a City by bike is a great way to see and get to know a place, So here is a little 12.5 mile bike ride I would like to share with some amazing views.
INCYCLE

I begin the ride at INCYCLE on Arrow hwy, here there is plenty of parking, you can rent a bike if needed and plenty of places to eat and good coffee shops to.
I head out and turn left on Bonita Ave, and within a mile 1/4 of a mile am passing the bowling alley on my right.
Bowling Alley
I keep on Bonita and soon cross the railway tracks as I enter into the Historic district of San Dimas,
Pacific Railroad Museum and Library is located inside a 1934 depot that anchors the west end of the historic downtown at 210 W. Bonita Ave. Operated by the Pacific Railroad Society who trace their roots to 1936 when six railfans in the Los Angeles area banded together as the "Railroad Boosters." The museum and library are open to the public and free, and group tours are available upon request
Downtown San Dimas, rustic and with a Western feel!
After around 2 miles I make a left on San Dimas Ave as I would like to showcase the beautiful old homes San Dimas has and also the route of the San Dimas Stage Race. I cycle up to 1st street passing the Walker house which has just been renovated and turned into a restaurant and museum too.
Walker House is perhaps the most beautiful and important historic building in the downtown, and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Originally built in 1887 to be a railroad hotel. Recently restored by the City of San Dimas to be a public building, it is now home to the San Dimas Historical Society, Festival of Arts, and an art gallery.
This small 1.2 mile loop is the Incycle/Cannondale Old Town Grand Prix Bicycle Race, one of the hardest criteriums in Southern California, is a Grand Prix course that starts on the streets of Historic Downtown. Each March, racers and spectators alike enjoy one of the highest speed bike races in Southern California. The criterium is the third stage of the San Dimas Stage Race, a multi-day bicycle race in and around San Dimas organized by Southern California Velo.
Day 3 of SDSR
 After a right on first I make a left on Iglesia and cycle up to 5th street were I make a right, as I head up this road I have a beautiful view of the San Gabriel foothills and pass some beautiful homes.

Once I have cycled on 5th I make a right to go down  North Walnut Ave and turn right onto Bonita Ave, on this corner is City Hall and a statue of Jedediah Strong Smith
In 1826, Jedediah Strong Smith led the first American overland exploration to the proposed
project area, known generally as “Mud Springs.” He was the first American to cross the
southwestern portion of the American continent. This area was part of the last Spanish land
grant, Rancho San Jose. Then, in 1887 with the extension of the Santa Fe Railroad, the San Jose
Land Company formed and chose to call this area San Dimas, after the canyons has the same
name located to the north.
I go left on to San Dimas Ave and pass the newly placed Veterans Memorial
San Dimas War Heroes
I cross Arrow hwy and make a left on Puddingstone Drive, I really love this route as it loops around Bonelli Park, and passes Barrack Airport and at the end of Puddingstone is the Drag Strip and the Fairplex were the County Fair is held each year.



A View of the North Shore of Bonelli from Puddingstone Drive, on your right hand side.











Soon I cycle past Brackett Field Airport  and turn right at the end of Puddinstone is the LA County Fair Grounds, there you will find a landmark called the Pomona Drag Strip, known for its Winter and end of Summer Nationals. At the Fairplex grounds you will also find the NRHA National Hot Rod Association Museum.




I turn right onto Fairplex drive and follow the road round keeping on Fairplex drive, I pass the golf course and soon see the right turn to enter Bonelli Park.I make a right on Via Verde and prepare for a roller coaster of small hills as I pass through this beautiful park, just before entering the park I pass the Horse stables were you can see Bonelli via horse!
The stables 
Bonelli Park is beautiful and here after you ride you can hike on the trails bring the children to play etc, it is also home to TRI EVENTS the oldest triathlon series in the World, it is in its thirtieth year in 2012.
After roller coasting through the park I turn left on to Raging Water Drive,
View of the South Shore Lake at Bonelli as I cycle down Raging Waters drive
Going over the Dam on Raging Water Drive
Raging Waters, California's Largest Waterpark

Raging Waters San Dimas was ranked #3 nationally by the Travel Channel in its Top 10 ranking of US Water Parks. With over 50 beautifully landscaped acres and 36 slides and attractions, plus a sand beach, there is outRAGEous fun for guests of all ages. Grab a board and catch a wave on the Flowrider or race for the win on the super fast Ragin' Racer. Younger guests will never tire of Kids' Kingdom and Splash Island. Whether mild, wild or in-between, all ages always have a raging good time at Raging Waters San Dimas.


Leaving the park I make a quick left then an almost immediate Right to Climb up Cannon, this is the same road the San Dimas bike race uses for their King of the Mountain championship and also the views are breathe taking as well as you get to cycle over red cobblestones for a few meters giving you a European cycling experience!!
Cobblestones of Cannon
After cresting Cannon I make a left on to Walnut for a quick descent I keep on Walnut crossing over railway tracks until I get to Arrow hwy, here I go straight on Walnut going past the Sheriffs station and Fire Station of San Dimas until I get to Bonita Ave were I make a left turn. Here is the Chamber of Commerce situated in the Martin House.
iThe Chamber of Commerce promotes business growth in San Dimas as well as sponsors annual activities such as Western Days and the City Birthday Barbecue. The Chamber of Commerce is housed in the historic Martin House in the downtown area of San Dimas.
I cycle through the historic part of San Dimas passing by wooden board walks and antique shops, Hard wear store and even a wine tasting shop.
Stop and sample some fine Californian wine.
I cycle over one more railway track before turning left onto South Eucla Ave and a right onto Arrow Hwy, were I will be able to make another right into the Station Shopping center to finish at Incycle again.


12 .6 miles. A beautiful place to visit. I go home and down load my RCX3 to remember this cycle ride.

https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=87d69f99b685858edc4c404ea87c9c0f

No comments:

Post a Comment