Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Secrets of a wetsuit swimmer....

I brazenly declare my love for my Aquaman Wetsuit which I use for triathlons especially in the cooler waters of California and the 6.2 mile Ocean swim in Hawaii...

Tri Slide to protect from chaffing..
I love trislide, I spray this product around my neck, ankles and wrists, and also under my polar strap. It is an awesome product and no chaffing and does not harm the neoprene in my wet suit it is water proof and sweat proof, no mess easy to apply spray and lasts for hours! Not only that but even reduces hot spots on my feet while running!!!
The wet suit makes me feel like super woman, my hips become high in the water and my legs can dangle.. well may be a little flutter kick to keep circulation going and hip rotation too.

Swimming in Hawaiian Waters 2012.
 The Aquaman Wetsuits are cut higher in the legs and arms than most suits this is so it is easier to put on and putting on the suit you should never dig in your nails to pull up the suit, I put the suit as high up the calf as it will go , the wet suit should feel snug but I still have flexibility to rotate my arms.

Getting ready to swim in Lake Anna State Park
Another thing that I do is practice in my wetsuit before the race, in race mode my adrenaline is pumping and the mass starts can get pretty knarly so I try to swim strong and get away from all the kicking legs and flailing arms, and unlike lap swimming my heart is pumping raising my core temp and I get warm in my wet suit...I have no surprises on race day...practice putting the suit on and taking the suit off too. The Aquaman suit I have zips from the neck down and when I get out of the water I pull the chord down to unzip while running to transition!

Care for your wet suit is important, while you should not use your tri suit to swim in chlorinated water I do from time to time at clinics so I make sure I rinse my suit really well in fresh water and I let it dry never in direct sunlight and I use a nice wide hanger to store it.

I use my wetsuit for all my Ultra triathlons in doubles, triples and Ultraman. and I also use it for the local races for the 700m 1500m and the 1.2 mile swims. Learning how to take off the suit will save valuable minutes in triathlon shorter courses.

http://www.aquamantri.com/homepage/

Before I begin my swim I always go to the water and flood my wet suit and rinse my face. Be careful about applying lubricants and I do not put on any lotions around my face so my goggles will seal and be careful not to get lubricant on your fingers and then touch your goggles.

Also if you are unfortunate to rip your suit :
Minor repairs, using neoprene glue, can be performed on the spot, if necessary.

For the Triathlete USAT has two rules regarding wet suit for the swim portion:


Article 4.4 Wetsuits of the USA Triathlon Competitive Rules states: “Effective January 1, 2013, any swimmer wearing a wetsuit with a thickness measured in any part greater than five millimeters shall be disqualified.”

10. Wetsuits: Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wetsuit at their own discretion, provided, however that participants who wears a wetsuit within such temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Above 84 degrees, wetsuits are prohibited.

Yes there are differences between a wet suit for triathlon and a scuba suit the neoprene is much more buoyant in a triathlon wetsuit and also the design is more hydrodynamic and the suit is more flexible to make swimming more proficient. 
 


Happy Racing!

No comments:

Post a Comment