Sunday, June 23, 2013

Billy Goat...It ain't but one hill....

Well on 5 hours sleep, 3 scuba dives and Catalina Island adventures beneath the water, I found myself on route to Billy Goat trail run organized by the Biggest and baddest goat there is Steve Harvey and his wife Annie.
My husband Al took me to the race venue Indians Trucker Trail.
I was super excited to run this event as I had not ran since the Triathlon 2 weeks ago due to an injured foot. I had rested gone insane from not running or cycling, on Thursday I had been given the blessing to run by my sport doc, I jogged an easy 3 miles...mmmm
Race swag extraordinaire,

I turned up with Al my foot was not hurting I was super excited to be at the Indian Trucker Trail...I knew there was a long 6.5 climb I was more afraid about the 6.5 mile downhill and busting all the good I had done for my foot in one nano second.
Hammer told me to be careful sprayed my feet with Kool n Fit
The race began at 8am ish...the sun was already out Steve shared some words of wisdom and we were off....un beknown to me and much to the amusement of spectators and other runners my little dog Hammer barked up a super storm as he did not get to run too!!
finding my groove (photo thanks Chase)
Steve Harvey that Old Goat was not joking it was up hill and the sun was nice and toasty. I tried to keep an even pace all the way to the 3 mile aid station, grabbed a cup of Heed and continued to the 6.5 mile turnaround station. I opted to run with my fuel belt so I had my nutrition all dialed in at a moments notice.
 Breathe taking scenery and I was careful with my foot. At the turnaround I took an Apple cinnamon Hammer gel washed it down with 4 Endurolytes and then it was all down hill.
Sunbeams
Great Vista

Hammer giving me doggy energy
That descent was brutal I tried just to jog and keep it together there was no negative split on this event I was slower going down the hill but at least I kept my foot centered and tried not to land hard on my heel.

I cannot lie I was so grateful to see the finish line, I had 5 runners over take me on the down hill and had there been another mile descent that list would have been doubled or even tripled!!

Jean and Naomi

Shannon & Naomi

Amazing Steve Fry!

Hammer with Chase
Always nice to see Michelle.


Hammer resting he was bitten on his paws by red ants!
The finish line was rewarding and I can add another Goat Medal to my collection. I finished a respectable 4th Female overall, and my foot is okay at mile 9 I hit the trail wrong did a few hops and skips and remembered to land lightly! 2 hours 21 mins and a few seconds I will take that below is my data and map from the run as saved by my Polar RCX5.

https://www.polarpersonaltrainer.com/shared/exercise.ftl?shareTag=a849b90e5efdfd74cfe9ebcf4e4feea0


For more information about the Old Goat Races here is the link.

http://www.oldgoatrunners.com/


 A huge thank you to Hammer Nutrition, Brooks Running, Rudy Project, Polar Heart rate monitors, Ocean Potion, Kool n Fit, Fuel belt and my Husband for taking me out there!





Cascadias got the job done!

The Bling.

No comments:

Post a Comment